MCDC News

Friday, July 17, 2020 - 11:00am

Hey MCDC!

 

We are planning to have our Staff Appreciation Week July 20-24 this year. We know things will be a little different, but we don't want to miss out on celebrating our wonderful MCDC staff! Please read through the plans below:

 

 

 

1.       SignUp Genius link for food/supplies/donations for the week here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.signupgenius.com_go_30E0B48A5AC22AAFD0-2Dmcdc&d=DwIFAw&c=ApwzowJNAKKw3xye91w7BE1XMRKi2LN9kiMk5Csz9Zk&r=dCtOi9bx5-PdavWpWgdZdEaUV79gecYuopXSJ4JVf-s&m=N7P58hHOg_PIUoYPi2qhZBLbo58PAE6Y91YNFftuBJE&s=XA24epGgo6hF9sOxM2iGTi7FAufyZ1dwH__YejRKOyI&e=

 

  1. We know some people aren't coming into daycare yet, so if you would like to donate for food/snacks you can send money to the PayPal Pool here: https://paypal.me/pools/campaign/114120244584861795

 

b.       Drop off for food/snacks/supplies will be in the Staff Lounge

 

 

 

2.       We are also still planning on providing a meal for the staff, but this year we will be doing a lunch for them on July 22, 2020.

 

a.       We are asking that each family donate $20 per child to cover the following:

 

  • Lunch for the MCDC Staff

 

  • A gift card in the same amount for each staff member

 

  • The cost of the memory books

 

$20 will be due by 07/17/2020. You can either drop off a check at the front desk or you can send money to the PayPal Pool here: https://paypal.me/pools/campaign/114120227404992594

 

 

3.       Lastly, thanks to everyone that has submitted their Memory Book Pages so far! We would like to have them all submitted by July 15, 2020, so that they can be compiled and given to the teachers during Staff Appreciation Week!

 

a.       Create your memory book pages for your child and save as a PDF

 

b.       Send it to the following email we have set up for Staff Appreciation : mcdcstaffappreciation@gmail.com <mailto:mcdcstaffappreciation@gmail.com>  and include *all of the following below*

 

  • Your child's name

 

  • Each Staff Member that they would like to give their memory book page to

 

 

 

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Tristan Lane tristan.lane@nasa.gov or RJ Habig ronajae_17@hotmail.com for more information.

 

 

Let's make this Staff Appreciation Week the best one yet!

 

MCDC Board

 

 

Tristan Lane

Mission & Fault Management Team

Design & Analysis Team Lead

Avionics IDT Lead

MSFC 4600 1212

256.544.1650

 

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Sunday, July 12, 2020 - 12:15pm

MCDC Families,

 

It is with much regret that I inform you that we will be closing the center next week 7/13/20-7/17/20.  We have had a parent of a child in Preschool A test positive for Covid-19.  The child has since starting running a fever (Friday night), and the doctor has told the family to assume the child is positive as well. The child’s last day at the center was on Friday.   In order to protect everyone to the best of our ability, the Board of Directors has decided the most responsible thing to do is to close for the week.  The center was cleaned and sanitized Friday night, and we will be cleaning and sanitizing once more before we re-open.

 

We are now asking that if a parent is being tested for Covid-19 , that the children are kept at home until the results are returned. 

 

Even though we will be closed next week, tuition will still be charged.  Payment will not be due until we reopen on the 20th. 

 

If you have any questions, please let me know.  If you would like to contact the Board of Directors, please contact MCDCBoardofDirectors@gmail.com.

 

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Tuesday, July 7, 2020 - 2:30pm

MCDC Parents,

 

We are facing a shortage of available gloves.  Most stores are limiting the amount that you can buy, and some are completely out.  CVS, Walmart and Sam’s do have them, but you can only buy a few boxes at a time.  If you see any when running errands, we would greatly appreciate any donations.  The type we need are: 

 

Large, Nitrile, Non-Powdered, Non-Latex (typically they are blue in color)

 

Thank you!!

Author: Kelli L Wright
Friday, May 29, 2020 - 8:45am

MCDC Community,

 

We are pleased to announce that we will be re-opening MCDC on June 8th. We will send out more details next week after we finalize our updated operating procedures and policies to ensure the safety of our MCDC community, which will follow the Alabama Department of Health/CDC guidelines.

 

Understandably, some families may not feel safe returning their children to MCDC just yet. That’s why we have prepared a very short 1 minute survey to collect information from our families to help the board make decisions on how we will charge families who do not want to bring in their children yet. Please take the time to fill out the 5 question survey to ensure your voice is heard before our next board meeting. Survey is due Tuesday June 2nd at noon.

 

SURVEY: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScKBAFpIzNuYRO3n_zwUXkmvnUNnYBCNrLu5_r_oIDtBFiPQg/viewform?usp=sf_link

 

Side Note - The survey mentions NASA terminology (Stage 4, 3, 2, and 1), so below is a link for those who are not familiar with our NASA Return to Work Framework Stages (pdf also attached). MSFC is currently at Stage 4. https://nasapeople.nasa.gov/coronavirus/NASA_RTOW_Framework.pdf

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 7:30pm

MCDC Community,

We hope everyone is holding up. The board still has no firm date of re-opening. As previously mentioned, we are re-opening when MSFC will go into Stage 2 as specified in the NASA Center framework (https://nasapeople.nasa.gov/coronavirus/NASA_RTOW_Framework.pdf). However, we are working with Center Ops discussing possible alternative options. We need your help in getting some accurate numbers to build a case to Center Ops to re-open earlier - please tell Kelli Wright by 5/22 if:

1)    A parent is mission essential or mission critical and expected to work on-site in the next 3 weeks 

2)    Your children are currently enrolled in another daycare and you plan on leaving MCDC if we do not open within 3 weeks

Please keep in mind that we are located within Redstone Arsenal, and while we can try to present to Center Ops a case for re-opening, we may still be mandated closed by RSA/MSFC. We understand that the lack of a reopening date brings uncertainty and stress, so we are trying our best to firm up details that will allow us to set a reopening date. Thank you for your patience during this difficult time.

MCDC Board

Author: Kelli L Wright
Thursday, April 16, 2020 - 11:15am

Good morning, MCDC Community!

 

We are pleased to announce the acceptance of our Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loan application! The funds were deposited on Monday. Therefore, tuition will be waived during this loan period of 8 weeks, starting this week (4/13) and ending the week of 6/1. During this time, only a weekly fee of $25 per child will be required to keep a spot for your child. If you have already submitted a check beyond what is required, the additional amount will be applied towards the weekly fees. As before, should parents feel so inclined, funds received above the weekly $25 rate (via separate check with “Donation” on the memo line) can be considered a donation and a receipt can be provided upon request.

 

This PPP loan will cover our payroll as well as our staff’s health care premiums until June 5th. Expenses not covered by the loan are federal payroll taxes and business expenses, which amounts to between $2000-$2800 a week. These expenses will need to be covered by the weekly fees and our savings.

 

We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding during this difficult and unprecedented time. Rest assured we will continue to keep you updated.

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Wednesday, April 1, 2020 - 5:00pm

MCDC Families,

We hope this message finds you well. First and foremost, we greatly appreciate your understanding and patience during this unprecedented situation. The Board has been working diligently to find a way to balance the needs of parents as well as ensuring our staff is well taken care of since they are the heart and soul of MCDC. The Board has come up with a viable solution to overcome the challenging weeks ahead.

We have 3 months of operating expenses in our reserves; however, we cannot predict when this pandemic will end, and the resulting economic impacts after businesses open again. As part of the COVID-19 aid bill signed by President Trump on 3/27, the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) is one of the options meant to help small businesses during this pandemic. A PPP loan/grant will provide 8 weeks of payroll and health insurance for our staff. We are currently filling out and providing the appropriate paperwork associated with this, and have already had conversations with our banking institution on options and requirements. It may take a few weeks for the loan application process to be completed. Our goal is to use this loan (if approved), reduced tuition, and fees (not all in parallel and not in that order) to extend the MCDC operations for as long as possible.

If we are approved for the PPP, and spend it all on payroll and health insurance within 8 weeks, the loan can be forgiven (there are stipulations which are being considered and discussed with our financial institution). If the loan does not get approved, the board would re-assess the situation.

Our current plan and expectations are, including unknowns based on data not yet in hand:

  1. Ensure all tuition is paid in full through April 3rd. Please send checks to: MCDC; PO Box 9138; MSFC, AL 35812. These tuition payments will replenish our savings account, which is the account that will pay our staff while we wait on the PPP loan to activate. 90 % of tuition payment goes to teacher salaries and benefits.
  2. For a period of time starting on April 6th until the PPP funds become available, a discount of 25% will be applied to all tuition payments, and savings account funds will be used to make up the difference for salaries and insurance benefits. New tuition rates are outlined in the table below. Please mail your checks weekly to the PO Box.
  3. For the duration of the PPP loan, starting when the PPP funds become available, a $25 fee will be required per week, per child. Tuition will be waived during this time.
    1. This fee reserves your child’s spot in the center, while also replenishing our savings that were used for payroll (in conjunction with the reduced tuition) waiting for the PPP funds.
  4. For the time after the PPP loan ends or if the PPP loan is not approved, the board is currently assessing options including tuition payment amounts, lay-offs, reduced staffing and/or closure.
  5. During times of reduced tuition, should parents feel so inclined, funds received above the reduced tuition rate (via a separate check) can be considered a donation and a receipt can be provided upon request.

Rest assured that the Board is actively working on potential solutions.

 

2020 Tuition Rate

Discounted Tuition Rate due to COVID-19

Infants

$            233

 $              175

Creepers

$            225

 $              169

Toddlers

$            218

 $              164

Explorers

$            214

 $              161

Pre-C

$            204

 $              153

Pre-B

$            204

 $              153

Pre-A

$            201

 $              151

 

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Thursday, March 26, 2020 - 5:00pm

MCDC Families,

 

As you know, this is an unprecedented situation that is changing rapidly every day. The board is meeting weekly to assess the situation and are trying to make sure all of our decisions are made in the best interest of our entire MCDC community, including the children, parents and staff. We are currently using funds from savings to continue paying the staff salaries and benefits and can continue to do so for approximately 3 months, with the plan to replenish the account with the tuition owed upon re-opening. We will decide the path forward for a beyond 1 month closure, and a beyond 4 month closure, in our next meeting on April 1st. Some options being discussed include charging a reduced tuition, pulling additional funds from our savings to cover our teachers, and options for waitlist accommodations should currently enrolled students be pulled out but are interested in re-enrollment when the facility re-opens. I will say that if we are required to be closed for 4 months or more, it would mean the situation in general has gotten dire, and we have to consider more drastic measures.

 

This is new territory and we cannot predict what will happen in the next month or so, even after we re-open. In general, the funds in savings are for situations where MCDC experiences an unexpected income shortage (such as a program cancellation that results in reduced enrollment). Whatever the Board decides at the next meeting, our savings would need to be kept at a sufficient level to cover any shortfalls caused by families leaving MCDC during this time of closure (which we hope won't be the case, but know it is a possibility) and other future unforeseen income shortfalls.

 

 

A few points that come up frequently in our discussions:

 

*        Our operating policies state that tuition will be due even when the center is closed. All parents are asked to review and sign it upon enrolling at MCDC. "Tuition will not be prorated or excused for days MCDC is closed for federal holidays, when Redstone Arsenal or MSFC is closed, when MSFC directs that the MCDC be closed, or for closures caused by other reasons outside of the MCDC's control."

 

*        90% of tuition costs goes to pay the teachers' salaries and benefits.

 

*        Previous instances of daycare being closed when we still paid tuition:

 

o  The April 27, 2011 tornadoes caused a power outage that closed the arsenal for around 2 weeks.

o  Snow event in 2011 that closed the arsenal for a week.

o  2013 furlough (2-3 weeks).

 

*        We understand this is an unprecedented event and we know it is a time of high stress and concern. We would like to follow the operating policies as closely as possible to keep from having to make high-impact decisions in stressful times such as these.

 

*        We have researched what other daycares are doing to see how we are in comparison. We know of one that is not paying tuition at all and therefore not paying their teachers. We know of some that are still paying full tuition and we also know of one that is paying full now, but will be looking into a reduced tuition option in April if we are still in this scenario.

 

*        The center has additional savings, but we don't want to have to use them since those are set aside for uncertain income, such as extremely low enrollment, as well as other unforeseen circumstances, such as a program cancellation/layoff that would likely cause a major withdrawal from daycare (as what happened in 2012 during Ares the cancellation). The point of the additional savings is to continue operation during times of income shortfalls until enrollment can be increased, or in the unfortunate event that we would have to suspend operations.

 

*        As previously communicated, an MCDC teacher (Explorer area) was tested on Monday (23rd) for COVID-19 and received positive results on Wednesday (25th). This teacher's last day in contact with students was on Friday, March 13th. While direct contact with children obviously occurred, it is appropriate to assume contact occurred center-wide due to the nature of our center (floaters moving room to room, community adult bathroom, community break room, etc.). We would recommend that parents follow CDC and local health recommendations to monitor their family's health and potential symptoms. As always, and ultimately, we care about the well-being of every child in our care and hope that this situation takes a turn for the better in the very near future.

 

We will send another update after our board meeting on April 1st. As always, we appreciate your patience and input. Please continue to reach out to us with any further questions or concerns.

 

Please stay safe!

Author: Kelli L Wright
Wednesday, March 25, 2020 - 3:00pm

Hello MCDC Community,

 

I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. The board is still having meetings (virtually, of course!) to have discussions on our current situation and attempt to resolve any issues that come up. We are still in communications with NASA Center Operations and we will keep you informed of any new information as we receive it.

 

We also wanted to let you know that we found out today that one of our staff members has tested positive for COVID-19. The last time the staff member was on center was 3/16, but there was no contact with children on that day. Out of abundance of caution, we ask you to assume that you may have been potentially exposed on the 16th or prior. Per CDC, it takes about 2-14 days to show symptoms. If you or a family member are showing any symptoms, the best course of action is call your doctor and practice self-quarantine. It is unknown exactly when this individual contracted COVID-19, but we are already working with Center Operations and health authorities to make sure this situation is contained. A deep cleaning of the center was done on 3/16, but there will be another deep cleaning again as soon as possible so that it is ready to be used when we re-open. We are monitoring the situation, and wish the staff member a speedy recovery.

 

We want to remind everyone to please contact Kelli if you are experiencing financial hardship. The Board is always willing to work with families facing financial hardship on a case by case basis.

 

We do not know when MCDC will reopen since this situation is on-going with an increasing number of positive cases in the area on a daily basis. However, I do want to assure you that we are trying to keep every single member of the MCDC community in mind, and will continue to meet and discuss on a regular basis to tackle any issues that could come up.

 

A few additional notes:

 

1)     Board Elections are delayed until further notice.

 

2)     At this time, all tuition that is due is deferred until we re-open, but we've had requests for a mailing address for those who want to go ahead send a check:

 

PO Box 9138 MSFC, AL 35812

 

 

Author: Kelli L Wright
Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 4:15pm

MCDC community,


The board met today to discuss the plan for MCDC operations during these uncertain times. Our highest priority is the health and safety of the MCDC community, so we have decided to take the approach of being pro-active rather than reactive. In order to limit exposure, we will be open to Mission Essential personnel and those not authorized to telework with children at home only on Monday, 3/16. We will be conducting health checks on every child who comes in on Monday, so please be patient with our staff. We will close MCDC on Tuesday, 3/17, until further notice.

For the individual in MSFC who was tested positive for COVID-19, there is no confirmed trace back to MCDC. Despite that, we will be doing a deep cleaning of MCDC so that it is ready to be used again when we re-open. It is unknown when we will re-open since this is still a rapidly evolving situation, but as always, we will keep you continuously informed. 

A few notes:

- Per our operating policy, tuition is still owed regardless of MSFC status. Payments will be due upon re-opening MCDC. 

- Please contact Kelli for potential accommodations for those who are not eligible to telework or don't have alternative care. 

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. 

Vicky Garcia, President

MCDC Board of Directors

Author: Kelli L Wright

Pages